RE: ISSTC questions

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau-at-hp-dot-com>

Hi Dan:

Theory and experience shows that stranded wire is a poor performer
compared with solid equivalents.  It you're interested in squeezing out
the last bit of performance, Litz wire would be the thing to use.
There is an eBay seller that usually has some #8AWG equivalent Litz
wire, see
http://cgi.ebay-dot-com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1501&item=5702355
778&rd=1.  This is the same wire that I used in my primary AC resistance
measurements.  Be advised that this particular wire is not directly
solderable without individually scraping each conductor.  And the strand
size is best for frequencies below 100 KHz.

Short of Litz, copper tubing is probably the best thing, and is easily
tapped to boot.

Regards, Gary

 >Original poster: "Eastern Voltage Research Corporation"
 ><dhmccauley-at-easternvoltageresearch-dot-com>
 >
 >I agree.  I think the ISSTC may benefit from increased primary voltage
(up
 >to 480VAC mains input) and using a standard pancake
 >type primary coil.  I am presently in the process of trying this out.
 >
 >Also, the comment by Steve regarding using heavier wire for your
primary may
 >help, but i don't think its "too" critical.
 >I have so far gotten 80" maximum arc and I still have my temporary 12
AWG