More ISSTC theory stuff

Original poster: "Steve Conner" <steve.conner-at-optosci-dot-com>

Hi all,

I've been doing a lot of work on the theory of operation of ISSTCs... if not
the practice :'(

I now think that the ISSTC can be simply modelled, if we assume it perfectly
tuned, as two quarter-wave matching transformers in series. (an untuned
primary SSTC is just a single transformer.)

I'm pretty sure that the resonator is a quarter-wave transformer, with
characteristic impedance Zo equal to sqrt(L/C) or alternatively 2*pi*fres*L.
And along similar lines I can argue that the primary circuit is another
transformer of the same kind, with Zo calculated in the same way, although I
don't think it does impedance inversion as the resonator does.

Radio guys use two quarter wave transformers of different Zo in series to
match two widely different impedances, and maybe this can explain why the
ISSTC works so well- the two stage approach does a better job of matching a
high streamer impedance to the <1 ohm output impedance of a high power
inverter.

Anyway there are equations for designing these transformers in the ham radio
handbooks, and I'm going to try applying them to an ISSTC design.

Steve C.