RE: ISSTC questions

Original poster: "Steve Conner" <steve.conner-at-optosci-dot-com>

Woah man, that's some heavy vibes, let me check my kaftan :))))

 >But I wonder if I need a lower pri L...
 >So what have others found to be the most Synergistic size primary with
these
 >things?

I think the way to longer sparks is to increase the step-up ratio of your
primary circuit. This is done by reducing the primary L, and increasing the
C to keep it in tune.

Increasing the coupling also helps in theory, but I think it's a dead end,
as it encourages flashovers. In the long run you may need to LOOSEN the
coupling, to get the primary out the way and stop it getting incinerated.

More voltage helps too- going to 240V should double your spark length. And
using heavier wire for your primary will be a must, and a bank of
electrolytic caps on your H-bridge DC supply. You'll probably need to
shorten the on-time too as you get beyond the IGBT ratings :))))

Steve C.