Re: OLTC II Even bigger arcs

Original poster: "K. C. Herrick" <kchdlh-at-juno-dot-com>

First class work, Steve--on the OLTC and also on the Web-site.

You mention that at one point you had to use a breakout point on your
(smooth) 8" x 24" toroid.  That interests me because, (when my SSTC was
working), I didn't need one.  I used a smooth 6" x 24" Landergren toroid
on a 12" diameter secondary.  The primary was untuned, driven by a
feedback system so as always to be at the exact frequency of the
secondary's Fr.  It consisted of 2 or 3 equivalent turns driven by what
amounted to a ~1000 V p-p square wave.  (I'd posted a photo of it doing
its thing some time back on hot-streamer/temp).

I suppose, with the continuous excitation (lasting well after first
spark-breakout; there was no "notch", of course), the voltage just built
up & up until the breakout occurred.  I never did get more than 30" or so
of sparks out of it, and I think that was due to the relatively slow rate
of voltage rise--over some 30 cycles, as I recall.

Ken Herrick

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 08:09:14 -0600 "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
writes:
 > Original poster: "Steve Conner" <steve.conner-at-optosci-dot-com>
 >
 > Hi all
 >
 > Some of you might remember the OLTC II, the large solid-state
 > disruptive
 > coil that I have been working on for almost a year now.

[snipped]