Re: High Voltage Output

Original poster: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

At 08:00 AM 6/2/2004 -0600, you wrote:
>Original poster: DRIEBEN-at-midsouth.rr-dot-com
>Jim,
>
>Was this "several meter" spark self started at 60 kV (I would highly
>doubt it) or was it drawn out this far after bringing the elec-
>trodes much closer together to start the arc and then drawn  out
>to several meters (much more likely)?

A very large jacobs ladder at the Deutsches Museum, so, more like the
latter, start small, and the spark gets drawn out.  I should also qualify
that the several meters is along the general path of the spark (although
not following all the little twists and turns).  The "end of electrode to
end of electrode" distance is probably on the order of a meter. A picture
can be found at: http://www.luxfamily-dot-com/travel/austria/index.htm about
half way down.
or--- http://www.luxfamily-dot-com/travel/austria/images/dm2.jpg for the big
version

This jacobs ladder is probably the most viscerally impressive thing in the
whole HV demo.  The Marx discharge is impressive, but it is just a loud
bang, and the hundred kV+ spark demos are up in the air above your head,
and sound like a big TC.  The jacobs ladder is a few meters away, at eye
level, and is really loud and bright.  The photo does not do it justice.

>Likewise, the 300 kV of the
>VDG is only able to jump as far as the ROC of the discharge electrode
>allows for the spark to self start and with the very limited avai-
>lable current, the "drawn out" arc length is basically limited to
>the "self-start" spark length.

Indeed..

I gave the examples to illustrate that spark length in a TC isn't
particularly related to the secondary voltage.