Re: RE: Large Tesla Twins For Sale 5 Foot Sparks!

Original poster: DRIEBEN-at-midsouth.rr-dot-com

Gary,

Well, since you came on out and admitted to doing this little stunt,
I'll go ahead and make my confession ;^) I also, did the very same
thing that you did around 9 or 10 years ago! I too didn't even realize
that the cellulose based insulation in the attic had caught fire until
I began smelling smoke and finally figured out what had happened. For-
tunately, the insulation only slowly smoldered, hence the smoke. I ended
up grabbing a pot full of water and climbing into the attic and extin-
guishing the smoldering fire. The water left a stain on the sheetrock
ceiling. And what's so bad is that I'm a professional firefighter who
had several years of firefighting experinece at the time. Needless to
say, I never got around to mentioning my little "stunt" to any of my
fellow co-workers.

Another time, I was operating my big pole pig coil inside of my shop
and one of the arcs struck the shelving on the wall and I heard a
little "pop" thru my "mouse ears" hearing protection. Upon examining
the pop, I found that the pop was a 1 gallon pastic bottle of wind-
shield washer fluid that the spark had penetrated and ignited. The
fluid was still burning and the flame was hard to see as alcohols
burn with dim flames. Fortunately, it was easy for me to extinguish
as it hadn't ignited any of the surrounding combustible building mate-
rials.

So, just as Gary said, larger Tesla coils can be a fire hazard. Most of
us think of them from mostly an electrical hazard (and inhalation ha-
zard because of O3) point of view but I think many may tend to over-
look the fire hazard when operating a larger coil in a confined space
with combustible materials in close proximity.

David Rieben