RE: Saskia?s toroidal secondary

Original poster: "Steve Conner" <steve.conner-at-optosci-dot-com>

 >You can send our cool toy to Paul in Manchester when you are done, some
 >fun would do him good.

Hmm. I agree that the "rope resonance" model is QUALITATIVELY similar to
standing waves in a Tesla resonator, but, I don't believe that the
QUANTITATIVE correspondence between them is as neat as you think it is-

 >Frequency = (n/2) x ( C/ wire length)

for reasons that I won't repeat because Paul has just worn out two keyboards
explaining them.

In a nutshell, I'm not arguing with the fact that your apparatus works, or
that standing waves of the type and number you predicted are present inside
it. All I am saying (and what Paul is probably saying too) is that they will
be of a different frequency than what you expect. A spark gap oscillator
pumps out a whole band of frequencies and will excite your secondary fairly
well even if it's not quite in tune.

Have you tried measuring the resonance frequencies with a signal generator
and oscilloscope, and comparing them to theory?

Steve Conner
http://www.scopeboy-dot-com/