RE: THOR Bang energy vs. streamer length measured

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi Marco,

On 27 Jul 2004, at 8:38, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Denicolai, Marco" <Marco.Denicolai-at-tellabs-dot-com>
 >
 >   Hi Terry,
 >
 >  > Even though the number of available
 >  > bangs is limitless, the statistical chance of the streamer
 >  > failing increases over time until it becomes improbable that
 >  > the streamer will be able to connect.
 >
 > My hardware can go up counting to 4096 bangs but actually 32 were well
 > enough to exploit all what I could from my maximum available bang
 > energy.
 >
 >  > Although we do not have the specific numbers and equations to
 >  > predict such things with arbitrary coils now, your data
 >  > definitely shows such relations do exist and they are not
 >  > terribly complex.
 >
 > Indeed.
 >
 >  > Your BPS data also suggest that there is a "right" BPS.  The
 >  > 10.7J data seems to suggest that ~325 BPS was optimal.  It
 >  > also shows that the optimal BPS is not far from what we use
 >  > now, although it might be ~~2X what we in the 120BPS world
 >  > are used to.  I suppose we could start thinking about optimal
 >  > capacitor/charging/gap systems for 240 and maybe 360 BPS sync
 >  > operation...  A daunting task indeed!!
 >
 > I wouldn't say so. As I commented in my web page, Fig.5 "nice" maximum
 > is due to measurement uncertainty and to be taken with a better
 > confidence as a saturated maximum. I mean, I believe readings -at- 300,
 > 350 and 375 Hz for 10.7J are actually the same. Read it as "no
 > improvement above 300 Hz".

That is particularly interesting because the result shows a deviation
from a simple power dependence. Now the dependency becomes voltage
and/or charge availability,...... perhaps..... because we don't
really know what part the oscillations might play in spark
initiation, propagation with repetition and continuance. i.e. the
oscillations occurring before the secondary is drained by the output
discharge are continuously altering the instantaneous charge
availability at the terminal.

Malcolm
<snip>