Re: Help needed with voltage divider

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi Marco,

On 27 Jul 2004, at 8:39, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Denicolai, Marco" <Marco.Denicolai-at-tellabs-dot-com>
 >
 > Hello all,
 >
 > I am also proceeding with my water voltage divider roughly described
 > at
 >
 > http://www.iki.fi/dncmrc/work/hv_divider.htm
 >
 > My sealed distilled water column gives a 1:60 division ratio and a
 > second (compensated) stage at the bottom of it a 1:10 ratio, for a
 > total of about 1:600 ratio. The first stage resistance is about 1.2
 > Megaohms. On the column top I have two copper pipes (6 mm o.d.) I used
 > to pump water in and air out. I used an old refrigerator pump to
 > extract all the air I could from the water. Then I sealed (soldered)
 > the pipe tops. The pipe tops and the bottom networks remain both
 > enclosed inside two rounded aluminium caps. Just a shielded cable
 > going out of the ground (bottom) terminal.
 >
 > After two weeks from the sealing air bubbles started again forming
 > inside the (plexi) tube. I am pretty sure I have no leaks. There are
 > also no sediments inside. The water is still clear. So, what's going
 > on? How pros do to get read of the air dissolved in the water?

I imagine that you would have to leave the water in a sealed
container under some constant much-lower-than-atmospheric pressure.
The endpoint would be signalled by having to make no further
extraction of air to compensate for the air coming out of solution
and trying to raise the pressure. I imagine it would take some time.
Needless to say, the pressure would have to be chosen so that the
water doesn't boil at ambient temperature although I think there
would be some evaporation occurring anyway.? Perhaps doing it just
above freezing point would be the answer.

Malcolm

P.S. Thankyou for taking time to do all these investigations. I am
watching with much interest.