Re: without wires?

Original poster: "Ed Phillips" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "steve" <steve_vance-at-cablelynx-dot-com>
 >
 > Hi list,
 > Quick question. I have been coiling about a year and never really thought
 > about this. We all know that Tesla dreamed of using his creation to transmit
 > electricity to homes without the use of wires. Obviously the first
 > realization of his dream was the creation of the Tesla Coil but how was the
 > electricity supposed to be received? I know about lighting a gas tube, I
 > have done this myself, but really, This is not a very efficient way to make
 > light. How was the tc output supposed to be received and converted to useful
 > power over any reasonable distance?(inverse square law) What am I missing?
 >
 > Steve Vance

	Perhaps this discussion is more relevant on some of the free energy
groups or usa-tesla, but if you read Tesla's patents you'll see that he
intended to use another resonant coil for receiving.  Some of his
drawings show motors connected directly to the HF from the coil.  His
notion appears to be that he could ionize a "conducting layer in the
upper atmosphere" into high conductivity and feed it with a wire from
the ground suspended by a balloon.  He thought this conducting layer
would form a transmission line working against ground.

	If one does even a simple calculation of the capacitance of the
"conducting layer" it turns out to be so large that incredible
circulating currents would be required to maintain the 100,000,000 volts
he liked to think about.  Any loss resistance in the circuit would
absorb all the power.  He talked about needing only a "few horsepower"
to keep the voltage going and obviously never made the calculations of
which he was perfectly capable.  It goes downhill from there. No
way,baby!!!!!

	As for "inverse square", he speaks of "driving a current into the
ground" which propagates in such a way that "inverse square" doesn't
apply.  This leads to the mysterious "longitudinal waves" which Tesla
fanatics are so fond of.

Ed