Re: Resonance, and now magnifiers

Perhaps I should say it another way:  A large topload helps to reduce
unwanted small resonances at frequencies higher than the fundamental
frequency.  Even though these resonances may be small they effectively
"steal energy" that should go towards the fundamental resonance point in the
sec coil.

Also, all resonances, however small or large, can begin "beating" against
each other and form small standing waves which can interfere (destructive &
constructive interference) with the lower fundamental resonance.  These
unwanted frequencies can produce unequal potentials across the sec coil, and
specifically in the case of small toploaded resonators, along with too much
coupling, can produce the dreaded "racing sparks".

Dr. Resonance