Re: Super Small SSTC

Original poster: Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com

Hi All,

At some point, we have to stop calling an MP3 player a "Victrola". and the
space shuttle is not a "Wright Flyer". Just where in time and technology
you make the break depends on your age and language useage. The exact
division can be argued ad nauseam.
IMO, a Tesla Coil is any of the configurations that Tesla made. The rest
are other resonant coil devices to which the alphabet soup of letters may
be applied.

Matt D.
Matt D.

In a message dated 7/19/04 11:10:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq-at-uol-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Jim Mitchell" <Electrontube-at-sbcglobal-dot-net>
 >
 > That's not true,  SSTCs are INDEED Tesla coils.  They are air cored resonant
 > transformers which produce an electrical discharge.

Just because we are calling them in this way. Their operation is very
different from the operation of a classical Tesla coil. The essential
difference is that in a Tesla coil all the energy is present in the
system from the start, and the operation is governed by the zero-input
response of the network. In SSTCs, the initial energy is zero, and the
operation is due to the zero-state response of the network.

 > The new generations of SSTCs also HAVE tank capacitors,  so how would you
 > classify those?

Technically they would be "double resonance networks operating with
zero-state response".
These structures with two coils and two transformers are the true
zero-state response equivalent of the conventional Tesla coil.
Versions with direct drive of the primary transformer are essentially
second-order circuits, much simpler and limited in operation
possibilities.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz