Re: capacitor discharge current

Original poster: BunnyKiller <bunikllr-at-bellsouth-dot-net>

all depends on the internal resistance of the cap the amount of mF and the
voltages involved

normally most capacitors can deliver hundreds of amps of current in
milliseconds...  um make that uSecs...

some caps are designed to deliver megawatts of power in sub uSec times.
even a 16VDC   3000 uF cap can weld itself ( its leads ) to the shorting
device....
the caps used for quarter shrinking and can crushing  can be in the 100,000
amp range for a few uSeconds
the more uF, the less the resistance =  impressive current flow.....

Scot D