Quarter wave

Hi Paul,

Im writing this because I think I'm starting to confuse myself.

Is the original difference of opinion that Jared is taking a length of
wire, calculating the resonance based on its length (1/4 wave antenna
theory), and then coiling it up and thinking the resonance will be the
same?  Or is he also saying the original straight wire resonance will
remain and a new coiled resonance will be introduced (the first resonance
representing the wire path, the second representing the EM path thru the air)?

Also the discussion about velocity factor seems to add to my
confusion.  Certainly if one models the coil as a distributed LC, one would
model the wire path and get a slower velocity than light taking that path,
but could emulate the correct resonant frequency perhaps.  Seems like Jared
believes the path of energy is conducted thru the wire as oppose to thru
the air being carried by EM fields.

My cut on this (helical coil) is the entire coil is being bathed by EM
energy propagating thru the air at light speed so it doesn't follow the
wire path.  If the coil was driven at the base by say a unit step function
then maybe there would be a delay line effect and the energy would then
need to propagate thru the wire path.

Is my understanding of the behaviour and the issues correct?

Regards,
Gerry Reynolds