Re: capacitor building

Original poster: robert heidlebaugh <rheidlebaugh-at-desertgate-dot-com>

Hi unknown with no name, I use a veriety of capacitors. The  poly cap works
very well. May I suggest two problem ares. 1. if your plates are close to
the   edge you will get burning at the edges and any sharp corner not trimed
off,  I use  a 1 inch excess of poly to prevent this.  If you wrap poly
around the sides this is prevented and your plates stay centered in the
plastic. I use 4-mill bag stock used to seal products. it comes in a roll of
ideal width two layers thick, that dosent nead cutting , just cut your
plates and roll the plastic around for a tight pakage ready to put in oil.
        2,The size of your electrode contacts to carry the current is
important . I use 1" strips of plate material as contacts and pop rivet them
together at each end of the capacitor  using aluminum pop rivet washers to
provide spacing for the insulation thickness. I order extra long rivets to
reach the thickness of the plates and insulation.  The 1 " strips carry the
400 amps well.  Even so it requires 4 capacitor assemblies  in parallel to
provide enough capacitance so a sutable oil container is a problem to find.
          Robert   H