Re: An Electrolytic ground plane

Original poster: "Wim Bosma" <wbosma-at-stud.tue.nl>

Hello all,
It is my experience that one copper tube in salt seawater is no good as a HF
ground. I had to use several pieces of galvanised chickenwire, connected
together, as a counterpoise in harbour along the North Sea coast. I was
using the Alu mast of my sailboat as an antenna on a frequency of several
MHz.
As a tip on the use of HF earth electrodes: Drive several copper tubes in
the ground with the help of water pressure. Flatten the end and turn the
tube a little with some pumping during the action. Then fill the tube with
one pound of coppersulfate and pump this with the water pressure into the
ground. This will make the ground better conducting and also keep the tube
from being corroded. Salt is not so good as it will be leaching away and
help corrode the electrode. The copper sulfate will stay in  place in the
ground for a long time. As an alternative, make a small deep hole along each
driven electrode , put a handfull of coppersulfate cristals in each hole and
water these regularly.
This tip comes from an old ARRL book.
  Regards, Willem, PA0TW