Re: poly pig

Original poster: Mike Poulton <mpoulton-at-mtptech-dot-com>

Tesla list Wrote:
 > Original poster: "steve" <steve_vance-at-cablelynx-dot-com>

 > Has anyone ever tried to encase a pig transformer in a polymer?
 >snip<
 > Anyone know of any reason this wouldn't work?
 > What kind of polymer Should be used?

It would work from an electrical standpoint, but the power handling
would be greatly reduced.  Oil circulates by convection through the
transformer and transfers heat to the metal case.  A solid plastic
will be a rather good thermal insulator, and therefore will be worse
thermally than nothing but air.  You could still do it if you are
willing to massively derate power.  I would recommend any of the
polyurethane casting componds made for making pastic parts in silicone
molds.

Mike Poulton
MTP Technologies
mpoulton-at-mtptech-dot-com
KC0LLX (70cm AM ATV, 33cm/12cm FM ATV, Omaha, NE)