Re: Conductive Black UHMW

Original poster: "Scott Hanson" <huil888-at-surfside-dot-net>

David -

Was there a misplaced decimal point in your last posting ($900 worth of UHMW
polyethylene)??? It seems, well, a bit incredible to spend this much money
on what sounds like a huge quantity of plastic and not even know what it was
you were buying.

Nevertheless, moderately conductive (or static-dissipative) UHMW
polyethylene sounds interesting, and I may have some applications for it in
assembly fixtures for ESD-sensitive electronic modules. Who was the
distributor from which you obtained this material, who is the manufacturer
of the material, and what was the material designation or part number?

As for using the material for variac brushes, I'm afraid you will find that
your UHMW polyethylene material is useless. Although it may have enough
conductivity to carry a few tens of milliamperes and illuminate a LED, I
guarantee it will not carry amperes. Additionally, the melting point and
heat deflection temperatures of this material are so low that the brush will
simply deform and melt away under the heat generated.

Would it be possible to send me a small sample of this material for some
measurements of bulk and surface resistivity? I'd be happy to pay for all
shipping and packaging costs, or even to send you a small pre-addressed,
postage-paid box to make it super easy.

Regards,
Scott Hanson