Re: Charging inductors for resonant charging

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: Finn Hammer <f-h-at-c.dk>
 >
 > Ed Phillips (who commands my unlimited respect) wrote:
 >  >Real designers step forward?<
 >
 > Obviously not being that, I am creeping along the floor panels, to offer
 > this lead:
 > http://femm.foster-miller-dot-net/download.htm
 > Finite Elements Method Magnetics
 > It is a distribution called FEMM, a magnetics field solver. As one of the
 > design training exersises, the design of an inductor on a gapped core is
 > covered in detail.
 >
 > For the likes of Jim, it should be a piece of cake to use.
 >
 > I have done some work in DC excited magnetostatics with it, and the results
 > were corresponding with those that I got with the 3000USD Magneto program,
 > http://www.integratedsoft-dot-com/brochures/magneto.pdf
 >
 > Hope it helps, Finn Hammer

	Thanks for the tip.  You didn't say whether that was a free download or
not (I've seen similar programs offered for several thousand dollars)
but will take a look at it.  If you're looking into finite element
analysis you're way, way beyond me!  I work with a bunch of aircraft
design people who use such techniques for almost all of their
calculations, and also some electromagnetics guys who use similar
techniques for predicting RF properties of materials.  Sounds a little
bit beyond what the average TC nut needs!

Ed