Re: Charge stored in Dielectric? Not really - MISCONCEPTION

Original poster: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 1/25/04 3:14:00 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>Okay.  That may or may not explain the oil case.  However, can anyone
>explain why this experiment doesn't work when using lower voltages???
>If the charge is indeed stored in the dielectric, this experiment should
>work independent of the voltages applied to the parallel capacitor plates.
>However, this is not the case.
>
>Thanks
>Dan

Dan,

I applaud your testing.  Real world testing beats conjecture any day.

I am confused by your conclusion however.  This test has been performed
countles times in college physics and engineering labs.  The charge must be
stored in the dielectric.  It can't be stored in the metal plates,
conductors can't store charge.  You can disassemble the capacitor and
install new plates and still have a charged cap.

Ed Sonderman