Re: Specs inquiry for all

Original poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 1/26/04 10:32:10 AM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>I was wondering if anyone has built a system that works well and then
>changed to a Single toroid for the top that was large enough that it
>prevented break out when no break out point was provided.  Or anyone that
>has designed a system that tunes up and works good but need a break out
>point to get their system to break out, again, using a single toroid as the
>top load.
>
>I am sure there are those out there that have done this.

Luke,

Yes, a lot of folks have done this.  I've done it a number of times,
but the time I remember best is when I installed a 6" x 24" smooth
spun toroid onto my TT-42 TC.  In this configuration the spark
broke out at times, and at other times it did not.  And the tuning
had to be exact (pretty much), or the spark would not break out.
In fact the primary tap point that gave breakout did not give the
longest sparks, and the tap point that gave longest sparks did
not break out without a breakout point (if I remember correctly).
This is of course due to capacitive spark loading {tuning} issues
that are well known nowadays.  Simply by turning the variac
power down slightly, the spark would not break out at all.
Since I was using a 120 bps sync gap, I set the transformer
output voltage a little higher than it can spark by itself, as I
normally do.  This may make this project unsuitable for your
purposes.

Specs for the TT-42 TC are at my site at:

<http://hometown.aol-dot-com/futuret/page3.html>http://hometown.aol-dot-com/futuret/page3.html

Click on spark gap Tesla coils.

John