Re: 1st Tesla Coil WONT LIGHT HELP PLEASE!

Original poster: "Harold Weiss" <hweiss-at-new.rr-dot-com>

Hi Ravi,

Connect the base of the secondary to the case of your NST.  (Yes guys, I
know an RF ground is better, but at 6/30, power ground is ok.  Remember,
he's using a beer sign tranny.)  That will connect it to the ground prong on
your plug.  Make sure that the paint is cleaned off the metal at the
connection point.  That will give you the ground you need.  If you can send
a couple of pics offlist I might be able to spot the problem.  (a running
one, would be good too)

David E Weiss

 > Original poster: "Nightmare" <nightmare-at-bak.rr-dot-com>
 >
 > ok, i added caps for a total of 12 bottle caps, filled with SW and topped
 > with motor oil, i connected and wired everything right and the biggest
 > sparks i got were about 3/4in when i touched a rod to the bolt sticking
out
 > of top, i took the toroid off. the spark gap has about a 1 in wide spark
 > that moves back and forth across the gap, i thought it was sposed to be
one
 > big long spark that is continuous across the whole gap? Is somehing wrong?
 > ive tried tuning it but same thing( i only tuned out 4 times moving 3/4 of
 > turn each time,so... i could not ground anything because it was raining
all
 > day and the ground is out side. Please help, i added the caps and still
the
 > same thing? i cant even breakout a spark without touching a rod to it!
whats