RE: The resonance research "monster" NST

Original poster: "Philip Chalk" <phil-at-apsecurity-dot-com.au>

Hi,

Subject: Re: The resonance research "monster" NST

Original poster: "Richard Modistach" <hambone-at-dodo-dot-com.au>

woa, that basically means making a whole new tranny for
aus and Europe different from the us version

 > Not a whole new tranny, just wind it with two individual primaries -
series for 240, parallel for 110-ish. (and maybe a few taps for say
110/115/120; 220/230/240).
I'm sure many in US would also appreciate a 240(ish) primary, as it's
not an uncommon supply there and it halves the primary current (rel. to
110), which is 'nice'.

but the export\import costs on top plus the exchange rate would make
them
totally expensive.

 > Yep, that's the problem - Freight cost. (Mostly what I want to buy frm
US is large & heavy) Shouldn't be any import problems, usually; Exchange
for $Aus/US is best it's been for years, so no time like present for US
purchasing....

15\60s are available in aus for 110$+gst but stacking
them becomes an expensive operation too.

 >Didn't know that - where from?  I have one, but they're few & far
between, even at neon sign shops.  Figured new they'd be more like $300
new, so never went looking for one.

I've got four new fully tested, unused  11\100s lined up for
220$ lot so i'm right for now I suppose other wise I'd be
considering mots myself.

May I ask, where from ?  Is this a one-off deal (like ebay or similar)
or is it a std. thing from some manufacturer/supplier/retailer ?  Though
I kinda like scrounging, if I thought I could just walk up & pay $220Aus
for brand new, 4.4kVA(rated)worth of I-limited transformer, I'd have
done it.

just one question,would there be any saturation problem running
2x110v60hz
in series on 240v50hz?

 > Doubt it.  May even be some saturation, but wouldn't anticipate any
'problems'.  Did you get one of those Oatley variacs ? You may want to
ballast a bit, which will help too.

 >(Did you know, Aus is slowly moving to 'standardise' on 234V
(nominal)supply nationally, in line with Europe, Japan, etc.  In many
cases, means no change, (due to spreads & tolerances) but some parts of
WA have typically 250-260v to ensure 240 at ends of long lines, and
these will change.)

Phil Chalk.