Re: breakout voltage

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Luke" <Bluu-at-cox-dot-net>
 >
 > I have checked out the Inca program.  Not very intuitive at least for me
 > but once I got the hang of the part I was looking for I must say Very
 > Cool.
 >
 > May I ask where I could find the math for the break out voltage of a
 > toroid? Preferably a version that is geared toward someone that is not a
 > rocket scientist.  Or maybe a version of the math that uses a few well
 > educated assumptions in it?

See: http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/capcalc.pdf
Not very simple, as the required math is quite advanced, and my text
doesn't really explain how most of the results can be obtained, but
just collects the formulas and explains how to evaluate them.
There are references, but they are not much better, or simpler...
(Looking at my text I see that I could make it clearer...)

 > Even if it is the complicated version I would like to see it.

So read the paper.

 > I am working on an idea and would like to see how the calculation for
 > breakdown voltage of a toroid is actually done

The exact method is difficult. The approximate method is easier to
understand and adapt for other geometries. Note that the approximate
method implemented in the Inca program (the "general case with axial
symmetry", that can also produce field plots) can calculate all the
cases that have exact solutions known, and others that don't have too.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz