Re: 1st Tesla Coil WONT LIGHT HELP PLEASE!UPDATE AGAIN

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2004 1:35 PM
Subject: Re: 1st Tesla Coil WONT LIGHT HELP PLEASE!UPDATE AGAIN

 > Original poster: "Nightmare" <nightmare-at-bak.rr-dot-com>
 >
 > O yeah, when i said the spark happened on the bottle caps, what caused
that?
 > also, it broke the bottle that the spark was on, just totally seperated
the
 > neck from the rest of the bottle? what happened and how can i fix it and
 > prevent it?

You might have had a bottle with a small defect in the glass and the high
voltage "punched through" the glass. I assume you don't have metal bottle
caps on the bottles, right?  Make sure that there's no remnants of a metal
sealing ring (if they were screw tops) or a foil label up on the neck.

If you're getting arcing and corona right at the surface of the salt water,
try pouring a small amount of oil (any kind will do.. cheap motor oil is
probably a good approach) on the surface of the water, both inside and out.

The level of the water inside and out of the bottle should be fairly close.