RE: Why do streamers happen?

Original poster: Thomas <tom-at-pwrcom-dot-com.au>

Original poster: BunnyKiller <bunikllr-at-bellsouth-dot-net>

Lightning in most cases is produced by the positive charge of the
air/clouds having a positive voltage potential more so than the ground.
Thus the efffect of cloud to ground strike. Electricity seems to want to
---------------------------------

Nope. The majority of ground strikes are electron flow from cloud to ground
(average of 40kA for 80us or so).

The ground to cloud electron flow is associated with big strikes in the
order of 100kA and are much less common.

I work in the lighting protection industry, and have heard this said many
times, I'll try to find a souce, but I'm on holidays at the momenet so it
may take some time.

Tom L.

PS: Dr R, I have not forgotten to test the 1/4 turn tuning sensitivity of my
RF CT - it's just that its been raining for a while here.