Re: 1st Tesla Coil WONT LIGHT HELP PLEASE!

Original poster: "Harold Weiss" <hweiss-at-new.rr-dot-com>

Hi Ravi,

Sounds like the caps are bad.  Did you use plastic or glass?  If plastic,
they have shorted out.  Try clear beer bottles, or a 1 gallon glass apple
cider jug.  A jug is good for about 2700-3000pF and can handle a 15KV
transformer, so it can easily handle your transformer.  Your gap should be
open no more than about 1/8" max.(guesstimate)  The transformer humming is a
good sign.  A shorted cap will make the tranny hum with no spark in the gap.
I learned that well when I left the shorting lead on my caps when I had
first light on my first coil.

David E Weiss