Re: Spark rectification using needle and sphere assymetrical electrodes

Original poster: "Peter Terren" <pterren1-at-iinet-dot-net.au>

Someone recently posted about rectifying a TC output. (Sorry I cant find it
to acknowledge you).  I decided to conduct some experiments of my own with
my 100 KV DC supply.  For electrodes I used a needle point copper wire and a
5 cm brass sphere (well, a door knob actually).  The longest sparks were
with the needle as positive (I still have to confirm that diode is as I
believe it is).  The readings that follow are spark lengths in mm with
(needle pos:sphere pos and ratio).
15:12      1.25
53:41      1.29
100:53    1.88   ie  47% difference

On these data one might extrapolate to rectifying a 1000mm (3 foot) TC spark
using 10 x 100mm gaps with needle - sphere- needle- sphere etc in series to
get 47%  of AC peak voltage as DC.  Cool.  How this will work at RF
frequencies for a TC has not been tested here.  It would be also intriguing
to consider what happens with a smooth toroid vs a breakout point.
I would be interested in others experiences.
CheersPeter (Tesla Downunder)
http://members.iinet-dot-net.au/~pterren