Re: Residual charge left on caps

Original poster: Matthew Smith <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

Tesla list wrote:
>Original poster: "Hydrogen18" <hydrogen18-at-hydrogen18-dot-com>
>Is it possible to store energy in this way for long periods of time?
>Assuming the the dielectric is kept well insulated from any potentional
>conductors?

You can certainly set up a charge on a dielectricic material (PTFE seems to
be one of the current favourites) in an electrical analogue to a
magnet.  This is what is called an electret.  You might want to have a look
at the HV list (sister list to this one), where there has been an electret
thread (I know, I started it!) within the last week.  It's something that
is achievable with "normal household materials" - provided that your
household has a direct current HV supply ;-)

I find the subject fascinating but it's probably a bit off-topic for this
list.  The HV list has quite a few members in common with this one.  For
some reason, I can't find a mention of it at <http://www.pupman-dot-com>,
although you should be able to find reference to it by searching the
archives of this list.

Cheers

--
Matthew Smith