Re: Asynchronous to synchronous

Original poster: "Christoph Bohr" <cb-at-luebke-lands.de>

Hi Randy!

Sounds like my first SRSG did ;-) If you use your motor while it makes that
hunting sound something very unpleasant may happen. The relative angel of
the rotor changes steadily to and fro. With a bit of bad luck you will hear
the sound from the RSG changing with the "wah wah" sound you described with
the coil output getting bigger and smaller syncronously....
In this mode your electrodes can only once in a while align properly when
voltage is high and(!) the electrodes meet. Whith a hunting motor this is
not the case most of the time!

If you lower your voltage you feed the grinder motor with, the problem may
be reduced as the angel through wich the motor is hunting becomes smaller.
With my bench grinder ( 125W ) I had to upgrade my start/run cap from 3µF to
7µF, this helped getting it into sync. With a variac I was able to change
the angel of the rotor about 40deg just by changing the voltage to the motor
from 200 to 250 Volts( not a phase controller! ).....however this recently
killed the motor after one year of service..and I am sorry to say:
  it really deserved this end ;-)

I am going to modify a 320Watt 1500rpm engine rhight now and hope this will
run better than the last one.

Good luck with your RSG

Christoph Bohr