RE: Secondary size - the Why

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau-at-hp-dot-com>

It's not clear that maximizing Vout is what we should be shooting for,
unless you're just interested in numerical bragging rights.  If the
ultimate goal is longest sparks, I should think maximizing Pout, as long
as the voltage is sufficient to cause breakout, is what we want?

Gary Lau
MA, USA

Original poster: Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com

Hi All,

      I have spent the last two days trying to figure out an answer to
Luke's question of why ratios of 4:1 or 5:1 are good for secondaries. I
think I have found a partial answer. In a TC, it is desirable to make
Cp/Cs
as large as practicable to maximize Vout. More of the energy gets into
the
streamers if the distribution of Cs between C self and C top is weighted

towards C top.
<snip>