Re: static gap were run in series with a rotary gap

Original poster: John <fireba8104-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hello once again,
Ed W.,I, and others are doing exactly that. To answer your
question(corrections welcome), It dose fire  ,sometimes, before and after
direct alignment. Even so, this is not as important as quenching(gap
turnoff). Go to
<http://www.richieburnett.co.uk/operation.html>http://www.richieburnett.co.uk/operation.html
and scroll down to .5 for a better explanation. Quenching is the reason I
and others went with the series gap.

John
Scaring old ladies in
Upper Freehold N.J.

Original poster: "Luke"

Has any one got input on this?
I was wondering if a short static gap were run in series with a rotary gap
would it help timing?
That's not exactly what I mean let me explain.

As the rotary brings the electrode near each other they might let an arc go
a little before they are in line because of the high voltage present might
jump the arc. Because the air in the area is moving this distance might be
somewhat erratic and thus cause the gap to fire sooner or later.

If a small static gap were ran in series the distance of the total of the
gaps would be a little larger. This might reduce the arcs from jumping to
the electrodes in the rotary gap before the electrodes are in line. And
the electrodes in the rotary could still be kept very close to allow for a
more precise timing.

A! ny one ever thought about that?
If so give me your thoughts please.

Luke Galyan