Re: Any Geekgroup MMC failures out there??

I'e used nearly 400 MMC caps over the past 2 1/2 years.  Never a single
failure even with NST's up to 120 mA current rating.

I always use Erms x 2.5 which was recommended to me by Beau Meskin, Pres.,
PCI and a personal friend.  This requires a few extra caps but at $3 per cap
it's worth it not to have any headaches.  Meskin said all of their caps are
rated Erms x 3.0 but their caps are used in industrial RF heating induction
systems that sometimes run 24/7.  For TC intermittant use Erms x 2.5 the
caps will probably outlast our ones lifetime.

The MMC concept has nearly revolutionalized an inexpensive source of high
performance capacitors --- the heart of any TC system.  My hat's off to the
Geek Group and Terry Fritz who did all the pioneering research in this area.
It sure beats rolling poly and trying to keep it's electrostatic effect from
attracting contamination.

I would only recommend to new members of the Tesla List that they keep their
total spark gap settings in the range of 0.220 to 0.250 (max) to protect the
NST.  During initial tuning keep the max gap setting at .160 inches.  Tune
the pri tap setting as well as the elevation of the sec coil (coeff. of
coupling) to obtain best output before opening up the sparkgap to full power
settings.  Also, keep the variac below 35% while tuning.

Dr. Resonance

Resonance Research Corporation
E11870 Shadylane Rd.
Baraboo   WI   53913