Re: magnifiers, bipolar coils, etc.

Original poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 1/17/04 9:00:09 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>Has anyone ever built a magnifier with the driver primary/secondary directly
>under (and perhaps spaced) the tertiary (yes, it would look a lot like a

Jim,

I think Bart's new magnifier is of this design.  Richard Hull also tried that
design a couple of times.  One time I placed my tertiary coil on top of
the driver (instead of using the transmission line pipe), and I gained an
inch of spark length.

>Has anyone ever contemplated a bipolar magnifier?

Mark Rezsotarzski build one.

>One could do it by hooking the primaries in series, but it might be better
>to hook the secondaries in series.
>
>What about driving two tertiaries off the two ends of the secondary.  At
>first glance, one might be able to consider the two tertiaries as being in
>series (that is, the C3 would be half and the L3 would be twice.

That is how Mark built his.  Mark demo-ed his coil at Hull's Teslathon
and at Ed Wingate's teslathon a number of years ago.  It was a small
demo model running at a variable break-rate and powered by an NST.

He wasn't striving for peak "efficiency", but used the coil to study
it's behavior.

John