Re: SRSG Alignment

Original poster: Bart Anderson <classi6-at-classictesla-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "Luke" <Bluu-at-cox-dot-net>
>What are the methods used to get a SRSG lined up so it fires in relation
>to the peaks?
>Is it trial and error is it set up so the motor housing is shifted while
>in operation?

The whole idea is to adjust the firing position between stationary and
rotary alignment to fire the cap voltage when the voltage at the cap is at
or near it's peak charging frequency (60 or 50 Hz line frequency). How to
do this vary's with the builder.

You can physically turn the motor housing (performed while power is off =
trial n' error).
You can physically turn the rotating disc on the motor shaft (performed
while power is off = trial n' error).
You can build John Freau's variac and cap phase adjustment circuit
(performed while the system is running).
You can build an electromechanical adjuster (performed while the system is
running).

John's phase adjustment  circuit is popular. I have used it in the past.
The trick is selection of the cap and variac that will give a decent range
of adjustment for the motor being used (and keep the motor in sync). There
are a lot of motors out there, so it really is best to test a range of caps
for this purpose (motor "run" capacitors should be used). Should you go
that route, give motor specs to the List and others can tell you what cap
values they found to work best with their setup. But, wait until you
actually "get to that point" to ask. Or simply test yourself as they did.

I decided I wanted a positive positioning adjustment of the stationary's
along the rotating path "mechanically", but while the system is running. I
recently put up a video of my contraption at my website while messing
around with the hybrid magnifier built last weekend. In the video, I
basically talk about the gap components and demonstrate the positioning.
It's just "my" method. You may decide this is too much work. Everyone is
different. For me, it was just another project which I enjoyed doing.

The video is here if interested:
http://www.classictesla-dot-com/photos/hybrid/hybrid.html

Take care,
Bart