Re: Largest VTTC?

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: Mike Poulton <mpoulton-at-mtptech-dot-com>
 >
 > Tesla list Wrote:
 >  > Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>
 >
 >  >         Certainly induction heater generators of far higher power
have been
 >  > used, but I suspect no one has bothered to build a big coil for hobby
 >  > purposes.  Sounds like an interesting and ambitious project; please keep
 >  > us informed on progress.  Have you considered replacement cost if and/or
 >  > when you lose one of your big tubes?  I'd hate to base a big project on
 >  > "nonrenewable" resources.
 >
 > These are effectively a nonrenewable resource -- neither of us is
 > willing to pay $700 for another tube.  However, we will probably only
 > run one tube in the circuit, which means we get to trash one during
 > development (though hopefully we won't).  Other huge power triodes
 > (including even larger ones) show up on ebay from time to time, so
 > there is some hope of replacement, even if the new part is different.

 > Mike Poulton

	OK and that approach makes sense.  If you can get or make a suitable
filament transformer then, to a large extent, in the LF service
considered here tubes are interchangeable, perhaps with a change in
feedback or bias.  I wonder if there are used "spares" kicking around
some of the local BC stations which might be liberated reasonably?

Ed