Re: MMC question

Original poster: Mark Broker <mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>

Well, let's put it this way....  We have never heard of a failure of a
"Geek Cap" that wasn't directly related to poor design or
construction....  The design chart on our mmc page is tried and true.  If
you build an MMC using the suggested design on our site and follow our
construction guidelines, your MMC should last forever in hobbyist duty.

If you really do feel uncomfortable using an "underated" capacitor, then go
ahead and make it more beefy. :)  But, IMO, if "our" caps can hold off
5000V, one could argue that 10 in series is plenty overdesigned.  IIR, a
second high voltage test with a newer cap held off 5300V at the first
breakdown, then more than 6000V at the second (that's a 2.7J bang inside
the cap!).  Then the current draw got pretty high.  You have that info
handy, Terry, or do I have to go digging?  (one of these days we'll just
add that piece of information to our site)

http://www.thegeekgroup-dot-org/mmc/

FWIW, my first MMC was made from 1600V Panasonics (I think I managed to hit
Terry's first bulk buy in early 2000), total voltage rating of
19.2kV.  After a few hours of runtime, one dead NST, one dead "Terry
Filter" (shorted the MOVs), a lot of toasted AOL CDs, and a lot of awed
spectators, the MMC caps are still fine.  And IMO I've been gentle on those
compared to some of the torture we've put our Geek Group MMCs through!  The
Geek Group MMCs have seen many coil setups and many power levels, including
running near-resonant value caps with a 14.4kV PDT overvolted to ~280V
input on a 360BPS SRSG coil (half the Gemini project) and also running a
static gap 12/180 setup with no topload (we tuned at about 2 turns - the
gap was much less happy than the MMC).  So all this is just saying that,
yeah, these are pretty tough little buggers.

Cheers

Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek Group