Re: H/D ratio

The bang refers to the maximum energy stored in the capacitor.  It fires
into the spark gap and this is called the "bang" (lotsa' noise).

The equation for stored capacitor energy is  E = 1/2 C V^2

where E = stored energy in Joules (watt-sec)
             C = capacitance of capacitor in Farads
             V = peak voltage on capacitor (usually Erms x 1.414)

If you can find a copy at the local library of ARRL Radio Amateur's Handbook
this will give you a lot of information on capacitance, inductance, and
resonance.  Interesting reading and it's free.

Also, John Couture has a series of books on Tesla coil design that you will
find very informative.  It has equations and several graphs related to TC
design.

Contact John at couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com

Dr. Resonance

Resonance Research Corporation
E11870 Shadylane Rd.
Baraboo   WI   53913