RE: Secondary size

Original poster: Thomas <tom-at-pwrcom-dot-com.au>

Original poster: "Luke" <Bluu-at-cox-dot-net>

 >Tom in the reply you just gave
 >you say pick a minimum height based on power input, to prevent numerous
 >strikes to the primary /strike rail.
 >Wow how profound.

Glad to be of service :)

 >So what your reply is missing is the same thing all the others are
 >missing.  HOW does one do that.  Some would expect an arc of 50" to
 >travel 50" so it would be logical to make a coil taller than this so the
 >arcs can not reach the bottom.  There were no guide lines given as to
 >what to base your statement on.

 >Its like telling someone to pick a car that will take them from las
 >Vegas to la and back on one tank of gas.  That is hard to do since they
 >were never told anything about gas milage.

Rubbish. Many posts gave the 1.7*Sqrt(i/p pwr) = arc length, so I did not
repeat it.

_snip_

 >Everyone else seems to have said just make it big enough.  They never
 >mentioned anything about how to figure out what big enough was.

I think you will find that many answers gave a rule of thumb. Try reaeding
the posts again.

 >So telling me to make it tall enough to avoid strikes is good and I knew
 >that before I ever asked.  But very few seem to actuall tell HOW they
 >figured that tall enough value out in the first place.

Again the 1.7*Sqrt(i/p pwr) was given many times, however this gives the
minimum height, you were asking about the *maximum* height. Many people also
tried to piont out that this was not a reasonable question and show you what
you should be asking.

I'm glad you now appear to understand, (from reading your other posts) and
hope your coil turns out well.

Tom.