Re: Necessity of NST Protection Filters and Safety Gaps

Original poster: dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com

Luke,

The questions you *should* be asking are:

1.  Can I afford to lose an NST or two?

2.  Do I have the money to replace them if necessary?

3.  Am I running this NST for an important demonstration and  have backups
available?

If you answered NO to any of these questions, than a protection circuit is
definitely for you.  I don't run protection circuits in my coils, since if I
lose
an NST, i don't care either way.  I have tons of NSTs and can afford to lose
one every so often.

I would recommend using the Terry Gap which was designed by Terry Fritz.
I'm sure Terry will post the link to the specifics on this
gap to the end of this post!  (Thanks Terry!)

 >>I think you meant the Terry filter.  But here are the links to both<<

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Misc/NSTFilt.jpg

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Misc/terrygap.jpg

Dan