From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2004 10:36 AM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: SRSG or ARSG

Original poster: Finn Hammer <f-h-at-c.dk>

Luke,

The ultimate in slow!, that`s a good one!, and it would seem so, but not
quite.

One property of the static gap is, that there is a fixed distance from
the
electrodes at any time, so the firing voltage will be relatively
constant.
(Things like electrode shape, and temperature in particular, can change
this, but in that case the tendency is towards lower breakdown voltage,
which is safe for the cap/transformer combo).
The breakrate is then a combination of the transformers ablity to
deliver
current, and the size of the cap. Small caps charge up fast, even so
with
beefier transformers, so the static gap can be quite fast = high
breakrates
if the gap is spaced narrow, the cap small and the transformer beefy.

A very important feature of the rotary gap is that the electrodes are
spaced far apart, except at the moment when a discharge is desired.

However, if the rotary is not adjusted correctly, so that the electrodes

are not in alignment when the voltage starts climbing, the voltage on
the
cap can shoot to damagingly high values, and ruin the cap/transformer.
This
is the reason why a safety gap is needed.

Cheers, Finn Hammer