Primary Cap rms current not a function of frequency

Original poster: "Bob Jones" <alwynj-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Hi all,

I was calculating the rms current in my MMC configuration for various break
rates.

I was surprised to discover a simple equation for the primary rms current.
Assuming no R or SG losses, quench at a notch, assuming magic k's
and  ignoring charge current the rms primary current in amperes is given by:

Irms=pi x V x C x (break rate) x (number of primary cycles to quench) where
V is the charge voltage and C the capacitance in F

For a standard MMC cap of 0.15uF it is   0.113A rms per number of primary
cycles per 2000V of charge per 120Hz break rate. (0.094A rms for those in
50Hz flicker land using 100Hz break rates)

The value above means the rms current rating of 13.5Arms of the cap will
not be exceeded unless the coupling is very low or the break rate much
higher than 120Hz. In any case the current rating may be at 85C.

WoW I think this means you can have break rates of 1000Hz  with out frying
the caps with 1st notch quench I should add.

How close to or over rated can the  maximum allowed peak current and dvt of
the cap spec be pushed  for reasonable (in home TC service) life given the
rms current is not a limiting factor.

Comments please.

I still need to double check the above  but I thought I would bounce it of
the group first.

Bob