RE: Residual charge left on caps

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau-at-hp-dot-com>

In my simulations, I am able to make the cap-to-cap differences arbitrarily
large.  I could see units developing asymmetrical charges as a function of
leakage or capacitance, but the degree of asymmetric charge was always
precisely offset by a comparable discharge, with no net change across
cycles.  I did not attempt to simulate it, but I believe that only by
having a means of rectification, could a charge grow over multiple cycles.

I don't know what "dialectric tensor" is.  Coronal rectification is the
tendency for corona current to flow more-so when a coronal charge is one
polarity over the other.  This occurs when the electrodes are dissimilar -
one more pointy and one less-so, and is the underlying mechanism for the DC
static charge that is deposited on our secondary forms and shocks us after
the power is turned off.  But please, the archives are full of that topic
so let's not go there.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

Hi Gary,

In practice, we experience the effect with a gazzion cycles.  I wonder if
more simulation cycles need to be done before seeing an accumulation.  Also,
could you explain coronal rectification?  Does it have something to do with
the dialectric tensor?

Gerry R
Ft Collins, CO