Re: Magnifier Primary Capacitors - EQUIDRIVE vs. STANDARD

Hi D.C.,

At 09:10 PM 1/13/2004, you wrote:

>Actually, Terry, you were correct.

Oh Goody!! ;-))

>Cooper told me they had incredible headaches with metallized type caps in
>air.  They would discharge one section and by doing this, it would actually
>charge up another section.  A lot of crazy things were happening in air.

Yeeeeaaaap!!!

>In oil, the circulating currents neutralize the cap potentials.  This is one
>reason why most all their HV caps are in oil.  Also, of course, the edge of
>foil tracking currents are much less.

Fascinating!!  Oil can "flow around" and re-deposit charges as needed to
neutralize things...  So cool!!!!

>He said there are 3 different reasons that can produce these strange charges
>in air:
>
>(1) Unequal cap values.  They match their caps at 0.5% or better.  More
>specifically the dielectric leakage in individual caps is important.  It's
>not good in metalized foil caps.

MMCs always have that "self heeling thing" to fall back on...

>(2) Dielectric polarization.  Even partial polarization produces
>displacement currents and unequal charge distribution.

Yeap!!

>Most important factor (3) In oil, the small circulating currents equalize
>and discharge the caps.  This is due to the dielectric hysteresis effects in
>energy discharge caps.
>
>Bob said most of their HV filter caps contain internal discharge resistors.
>He said the high Q energy discharge caps do not because of the oil currents
>and hysteresis effects.

So the oil acts just like discharge resistors to move the charges around
and neutralize things and make things safe...  Resistors are probably far
far faster and more predictable.   For an MMC cap, the added resistance is
expected and no problem.  "Real" cap maker's would have problems explaining
the added resistance...

>Safety first:  In conclusion, we should continue to use bleeder resistors
>across all metalized foils caps operated in air.  I always use pcs in
>series, 4.7 megOhm each.  Each resistor has 1/2 watt rating.  Also, even
>after discharging each section, Cooper warns, always handle them with rubber
>gloves if you are not using bleeder resistors!!!

Sounds like all is coming into agreement with some exciting new info from
our "pro" buddies ;-))

We have discussed MMCs "in oil" in the past.  Oil is so messy, we all "ran
away" from the idea.  But maybe it could eliminate the resistors...  But
the effect of oil on the cap's plastics and such is scary!!  Mineral oil
may just dissolve the cap's plastics over time...  Me, I just use the
resistors and am all happy ;-))))))

Maybe the pro cap makers should just do Tesla coil caps where everything is
so much simpler :o)))))))))))  Hey!!  We probably know our application
better than most of their other customers :o)))))))))))

Many thank for you insights and the contributions from you pro pals
here!!!  To give something back...  Maybe they could add materials to their
oil to help the resistance or equalization.  We have resistance and charge
transfer going on...  Self healing must be a big deal too, but intellectual
property problems must abound too...

Cheers,

         Terry