Re: Junkyard wars tesla coil buildingRe: kVA Effects on Discovery Channel

Original poster: Troy Peterson <troypeterson-at-shaw.ca>

This would make a great teslathon activity me-thinks. One could setup a
"junkyard" of electrical supplies, perhaps all donated - old variacs,
trannys, caps, scopes, broken transmitters, etc...  Making participants
scrounge for the parts from broken equipment rather than just laying out
the things they need... Many of the hamfests I've been to have a tent or
whole building devoted to selling stuff that is basically just junk - if
you could let loose a couple of coilers into one of these tents I'm sure
they could find enough stuff to build a junkyard coil. As a prize they get
to take home anything they want from the "junkyard" :)

Tesla coils appeal to a very narrow audience, and personally, even though I
love coiling I don't think it would be all that exciting to watch on
Junkyard wars because of the lack of variation possible under those
conditions... But a more informal "live" version at a teslathon could have
more than 2 teams competing, and other fun prizes such as "strangest
looking contraption that works", or "worst secondary winding", "Most
spectacular failure", "Loudest noise", "Coil that produces the most angry
phone calls from neighbors complaining about their TV reception", etc...
These are the sorts of things that only coilers would enjoy.

My $0.0015
Cheers,
Troy