Re: Voltage Multiplier(4x) problems

Original poster: "Robert Jones" <alwynj48-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Hi,

Make certain the secondary circuit is connected to ground and no other metal
or circuit is floating including the core.  If not the inevitable leakage
caused by corona and conduction can cause them to float to some high voltage
and then spark to ground or mains power. You can kill a floating scope this
way just by having it near by.

The corona wind can charge up any floating metal work then it sparks to
ground or shocks you. This can even happen with AC.   I have even been
charged by the corona wind from a point then when I touched a power switch I
got a jolt as I discharged myself past the plastic toggle to what may have
been the mains power.

Once you get in to the 10kV and above range points and even small diameter
wire can cause break down across gaps much longer than expected. So one
string of Cs may be fine but an other with solder points breaks down
occasionally.   Check the archives and web sites for good practice.

In the dark particularly after your eyes are dark adapted you should be able
to see were the corona is.

Just a reminder:   Be extremely careful in the dark with exposed voltages.

Bob