Re: "Green Monster" Magnifier completed

Original poster: dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Sunday, January 11, 2004 10:24 PM
Subject: Re: "Green Monster" Magnifier completed

 > Original poster: Edward Wingate <ewing7-at-rochester.rr-dot-com>
 >
 > Tesla list wrote:
 >  >
 >  > Original poster: dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com
 >  >
 >  > Ed,
 >  >
 >  > Yes.  I did get the idea of attaching my primary with the wire ties and
 >  > spaced with the PVC tubing from your magnifier.  Works well. and
maintains
 >  > equal spacing through out.  I actually split my PVC tubing lengthways
and
 >  > just fitted it over the copper tubing.  I'm not sure if you actually
thread
 >  > each
 >  > PVC tubing piece through the copper tubing, or if you also split the
tubing
 >  > in half and just press fit it on.
 >  >
 >  > I haven't measured the coupling (K) yet.   The primary to secondary
spacing
 >  > was taken from a suggestion to me by Richard Hull which is about 4
inches.
 >  > I did some calculations using one of the Mutual Inductance calculators,
and
 >  > with the 4 inch spacing and my coils, I could get a decent range of k =
0.3
 >  > to 0.6 roughly
 >  > depending on primary height.  However, i'll have to actually measure it
and
 >  > see what it turns out to be.
 >  >
 >  > What is the coupling to have on your magnifier?
 >  >
 >  > Also, do you have any important Lessons Learned that you could pass on
 >  > regarding your magnifier?
 >  >
 >  > Thanks much!
 >  >
 >  > Dan
 >
 > Dan,
 >
 > I'm lazy, I split the tubing! The PVC tubing works great, but I tried
 > the red radiator hose with black lining for spacers on my first
 > magnifier primary and you can probably guess what happened. Yep, just
 > like the fourth of July! Should have known better.
 >
 > Your coupling wants to be as high as possible, but anything over .5
 > becomes very difficult to insulate against arcover. The coupling on my
 > maggy is .482.
 >
 > I think you already know most of the necessary basics, quick quenching,
 > tight coupling, low inductance in the driver, high (6 to 8X) inductance
 > in the extra coil, very large topload on the extra coil. The rest will
 > come as you fine tune the system. Never forget to put on your
 > transmission line unless you like unexpected fireworks! :^)
 >
 > Ed Wingate RATCB

Thanks Ed,

Good tips.  I have most of the system built, so I'm just working on the
resonator coil now.  My driver coil has an inductance of about 9mH which
might be a tad bit high (judging
from what others have done), so the resonator coil will have an even higher
than normal inductance me thinks.  But, its my first maggy, so its all about
learning and experimenting.
Should be fun!

And as they say  . . . let the sparks fly!

Dan