Re: DISCHARGING BOTTLE CAPACITORS

Original poster: "kayaker" <kayaker-at-sbcglobal-dot-net>

Hello Ravi:

I think we are are all too young to die at any age. Here are some practical
safety procedures too keep you safe. First off, find rod stock of plastic at
least one too one and a quarter inch in diameter. One inch PVC pipe maybe
used as well. This rod should be six to eight feet long. Next a piece of
steel rod stock at least quarter inch thick and twelve too eighteen inches
long. This steel rod can be epoxied or screwed or pinned too the end of the
insulted rod. Attach a ground wire with two alligator clips. The two
alligator clips should be attached to either end of twelve to eighteen AWG
wire. This wire has too be long enough too reach a grounding point. Earth
ground is preferred.
-First, above all else. Remove all metal jewelry from your self, and anyone
else working with you.
-Power off your TC. Disconnect the power cord from the wall outlet.
-Now, connect the grounding stick. One clip too earth ground. The other clip
to the steel rod of the grounding stick. Put your left hand in your pocket.
The left rule. I'll explain later.
-Take this grounding stick and touch all terminals on every bank of all
capacitors. This should discharge the capacitors. Don't forget that Torriod,
either.
-Also, touch the ground stick too all terminals. Just too be sure.
THE LEFT HAND RULE:
As other coilers on the list have stated. Tesla Coils being at RF
frequencies. The human body may not even feel an RF strike. When RF travels
thru the body. It can burn pin holes thru arteries and veins and organs. So,
if a strike were too go thru the chest cavity. The heart and the major
arties can be damaged. By using only your right hand. And taking safety
precautions. Rubber gloves, plastic tools, etc. By following this and many
other precautions, you can minimize the danger of working with RF.
I did not mean too write a short book here. Please, feel free too add any
other advice as necessary.
Happy Coiling Ravi. Good Luck

Doug Allen