Re: Resonant rise in spark-excited TCs/ possible or not?

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: Gregory Hunter <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>
 >
 > Regarding disruptive Tesla coils: I've read for years
 > from various sources that the secondary "rings up" to
 > achieve high voltage. In my mind, resonant rise was a
 > given. This seems logical considering the low k
 > between the primary and secondary. In other words,
 > several half-cycles ping the secondary, "ringing" it
 > up to progressively higher potential due to...resonant
 > rise, right? The disruptive coil doesn't really excite
 > the secondary with a single massive pulse, but rather
 > a train of very closely spaced half-cycles. I don't
 > see why resonant rise should be incompatible with
 > disruptive coil theory.

You are right. The difference is that the intensity of
the excitation (the primary voltage) decays as energy is
transferred to the secondary. The result, ignoring losses,
is that the secondary voltage rises with a sinusoidal
envelope instead of a ramp, while the primary voltage
decreases with a cosinusoidal envelope insteads of
remaining constant.
(And as a consequence, after the envelope of the primary
voltage crosses zero, the "first notch", if the gap remains
conducting the energy gradually returns to the primary circuit,
and the cycle repeats.)

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz