Re: kVA Effects on Discovery Channel

Original poster: Chris Roberts <quezacotl_14000000000000-at-yahoo-dot-com>

I think what they were trying to do was possibly show better the effects of
what would happen if ACTUAL lightning were to strike close enough, which
could easily blow the thing apart. No offense to you kVA effects people,
but try as you might nature still dominates you in spark power. =D
As far as the discovery channel goes, its just that - discovery. It peaks
peoples intrest into things that they never knew about, ("Whoa, there are
things out there that can MAKE lightning?") which then in turn lets them
resarch it on their own and eventually wind up on this list posting about
how the discovery channel is just... okay I'll stop.
It's the same thing that I did when I was at the junior high school doing a
demonstration on electricity. (Trying to stay OT) I explained the absolute
basics, then let them ask them any questions they had and went from there.
It lets everyone learn better because then they actually want to know for
themselves, rather than just listening a lecture.

Original poster: Ed Phillips

"I disagree. The target audience of the DISCOVERY channel is not
technically trained individuals. Although we
may think its an educational program, the sole purpose for its creation
is profit and entertainment. Also,
trying to explain in detail exactly what is going on and how voltage and
current relates often "goes over
the average person's head", may bore the person, and ultimately cause
that individual to lose interest. Their goal is to keep the audience
interested and keep the technical knowledge to a minimum."

It's OK to keep the technical knowledge to a minimum, although that is
demeaning to the audience, but in my experience a lot of the stuff on
Discovery is blatently phoney and I'm sure they know it. Sort of in
line with the "In Search of Ancient Astronauts" theme.

Ed

<>

-Chris